Omar García-Bolívar is a
lawyer graduated cum laude from Universidad Católica Andrés Bello in
Venezuela, with graduate studies in political science from Universidad Simón
Bolívar in Venezuela, Masters in Law from Southern Methodist University in
Dallas, Texas, and Masters in Philosophy and Ph.D studies in Law and Foreign
Investment from University of Edinburgh in 1997 where he was a "chevening
He is an expert at
analyzing and reforming legal and regulatory frameworks to create an investment
climate to attract foreign investments. Mr García-Bolívar has vast experience
throughout Latin America and the Caribbean
advising countries in the areas of legal reforms, investment and trade
promotion and investment climate enhancement strategies. He has been involved
in projects pertaining legal reform in company, contract, real property,
registry and foreign investment law. Recently he was responsible for assessing
the commercial law of the Central American countries as part of an USAID
project pertaining CAFTA preparation. He has also managed projects related to
investment promotion and trade barriers reduction, trade capacity and cluster
development. He has also trained government officials on using legal and policy
tools to attract foreign investment. Recently he has been involved as a
subcontractor to ARD, Inc and on behalf of USAID in assisting the United
Nations High Commission on Legal Empowerment of the Poor on the analysis of the
commercial law issues that affect the poor. He has been involved in legal
reform projects in many developing countries. More recently he has led the
drafting teams of the Business Licensing Law of the
Kingdom of Lesotho
and of the Corporate Restructuring Law of El Salvador. He led the team in
charge of business license reform of Mozambique. More currently he is
involved in a commercial legal reform to incorporate informal businesses in Panama.
Mr García-Bolívar has
extensive experience advising firms about the legal benefits and restrictions
associated with the oil, petrochemical, telecommunications and mining
industries. He has advised foreign investors entering Latin America about the
regulatory issues involved with doing business in Latin
America and provided managers with advice on organizational
issues. He has conducted more than 20 due diligences for major transnational
companies in emerging markets in different industries such as oil and gas,
mining, telecom and apparel. He has served as expert witness about rule of law
in Latin America and about international law
of foreign investment. He is member of the council of advisors of Gerson
is an arbitrator before the International
Center for Settlement of
Investment Disputes (ICSID) and the World Intellectual Property Organization
(WIPO), a member of the American Arbitration Association International Panel,
listed in the ICC Arbitrator Database and member of the Panama- Taiwan trade agreement
dispute resolution board and the China International Economic and Trade
Arbitration Commission. He is an associate Editor of
Transnational Dispute Management, and Member of the Washington, DC Bar
International Dispute Resolution Committee Working Group on
Transparency/Accountability in Investment Treaty Arbitration. As an expert
witness he has provided testimony in numerous trials and arbitrations on Latin
American law, rule of law and judicial independence, for which he has been
cited in judgments such as United States District Court, Southern
District of Florida, CASE NO.: 07-22693-CIV-HUCK.
Mr García-Bolívar is professional
fellow of the Law Institute of the Americas
at Southern Methodist University in Dallas,
was professor of Commercial Law at the Universidad Católica Andrés Bello Law
School. He was a professor of International Law of Foreign Investments in a
graduate program for International Economic Law at Universidad Central de
Venezuela. In 1999, he was invited by the Instituto de Estudios Superiores de
Administración (IESA) to design and teach a course on Business Organizations
for the Corporate Legal Management program which are still taught today. He has lectured at Georgetown
University Law School, The George Washington University, American University,
Harvard University, the Washington D.C. Bar and the Interamerican Bar
Association, Washington University at Saint Luis Missouri, University of
Edinburgh and University of Oslo, the Madrid, Spain Bar Association, Frankfurt
at the 50 years of BITs conference, The University of Tokyo, The University of
Sidney, University of South Africa and University of the Kingdom of Lesotho,
Peruvian American Chamber of Commerce.
He is Chair of the
Inter-American Legal Affairs Committee of the International Law Section of the Washington, DC
Bar. He is a member of American Society of International Law, International Bar
Association and American Bar Association. He has been admitted to practice law
in Venezuela, New York, Washington,
D.C. and the U.S. Court of International Trade. He is listed in the Marquis
Who's who in American law of 2005.
He is a founding partner
of BG Consulting Inc.
"Venezuelan Competition Law", International Business Lawyer,
London, November 1993,
Vol. 21, No. 10.
• "De la disolución de las
sociedades mercantiles", Revista de la Fundación de la Procuraduría
General de la República, No. 11, 1994, reimpreso en Revista de la Facultad de
Derecho de Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, No. 52, 1998.
"Mergers and Acquisitions in Venezuela" in International
Mergers - The Antitrust Process (Rowley & Baker eds. 2nd. Edition. 1996).
• "El perjuicio en la Legislación Venezolana sobre prácticas desleales del
Comercio Internacional". R. UCV, 96, Octubre 1995.
• "Legal framework for oil and gas operations in Venezuela",
Venezuela Today, June, 1996.
• Co-author "Consideraciones
sobre la suspensión de las garantías constitucionales". R. UCV. No. 102, Mayo
• Co-author "Mining Law in Venezuela",
Mining Journal, Volume 330, March 6, 1998.
• "Sector privado y petróleo en
la economía venezolana: ¿los venezolanos pueden ser dueños del petróleo?",
R. UCV, 105, 1997.
• "El Estado, el petróleo y los individuos. Tres dimensiones de la
economía venezolana", Caracas, 1998.
• "Posibilidades y Aspectos para un Acuerdo Multilateral de Inversiones
Extranjeras", Revista de Derecho Internacional Económico, No. 3, 1998.
• Mining in
Investment opportunities, in World Markets Series, Business Briefing, Latin
American Mining ∓ Mineral Extraction, 1999.
• Co-author "Overview of the Venezuelan real estate legal regime" on
newsletter on Real Estate Law of the International Bar Association, Volume 3,
No. 2, November 1999.
• Co-author, Marco legal ambiental
Latinoamericano, en Revista Foro Minero, Marzo, 2000
• Telecommunications in Venezuela, ITU's Telecom Review, Rio de Janeiro, 2000.
"The new wave: Organic Law on Telecommunications", International
Business Lawyer, London,
September 2000, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp 374.
• El Capital de los Pobres, Venezuela
Analítica, marzo 2002.
• La jurisdicción del Centro Internacional de Arreglos de Disputas de
Inversiones (CIADI), Revista de Derecho Internacional y MERCOSUR, Year 8,
Volume 1, 2004, electronically published in Revista Iberoamerica de Arbitraje y
Mediación, November 3, 2003.
Investment Disputes under ICSID: A review of its decisions on jurisdiction. The Journal of World Investment, February 2004.
• Entre libertad e igualdad: una propuesta para Venezuela. Revista de Tribunal
Supremo de Justicia No. 24, August, 2007
• Comments on some ICSID decisions on jurisdiction. International Business
Lawyer, August 2004.
• La jurisprudence récente concernant la juridiction du Centre International
pour le règlement des différends relatifs aux Investissements (CIRDI). 2004.
• New ICSID cases on jurisdiction. Oil, Gas and Energy Law Intelligence, Volume
2, Issue 2, April 2004.
• G3 Agreement: A Comparison of its Investment Chapter with the Emerging
International Law of Foreign Investment. Law and Business Review of the Americas,
forthcoming Vol. 11:1 Winter 2005 issue.
• Co-author. Levantamiento del velo
corporativo: una aproximación global a la doctrina del desconocimiento de la
personalidad jurídica de las sociedades mercantiles. Ensayos de Derecho
Mercantil, Libro Homenaje a Jorge Enrique Núñez, Colección Tribunal Supremo de
Justicia, Caracas, Venezuela, 2004.
Decision on Jurisdiction in AZURIX and Tokios, Transnational Dispute
Management, June 2004.
• The recent jurisprudence on ICSID jurisdiction as of June 2004. The
Interamerican Bar Association Law Review, Vol I, 2005
• Arbitraje internacional en contra de sentencias definitivas de casación y
amparo? El caso ante CIADI para
inversionistas extranjeros de algunos países, Revista de Tribunal Supremo de
Justicia No. 15, Caracas, Venezuela, Febrero 2005
• Burgeoning ICSID decisions, Oil, Gas and Energy Law Intelligence, Volume 2,
Issue 4, October 2004, and Transnational Dispute Management, Volume I, Issue 4,
Co-author. The rise of international investment arbitration in Latin America,
Latin America Law and Business Report, World Trade executive, volume 12, number
12, December 2004.
• Co-author. Comparison Chart on arbitrators' standards of conduct.
Transnational Dispute Management, and World Trade & Investment Materials,
• The Teleology of International Investment Law: The Role of Purpose in the
Interpretation of the International Investment Agreements, The Journal of World
Trade and Investment, Vol 6:5, October, 2005.
• Preparing for CAFTA-DR: The Need of Commercial Law Reform in Central America. Forthcoming
2006. Express Preprint Series. Working Paper 868.
• El objeto y propósito de la Convención CIADI a la luz del caso Tokios Tokeles
contra Ucrania. The Interamerican Bar Association Law Review, Volume II, 2005.
• Comparing Arbitrator Standards Of Conduct In International Commercial And
Investment Disputes, Dispute Resolution Journal, Vol 60:4, November 2005.
• The issue of a foreign company wholly owned by national shareholders in the
context of ICSID arbitration, Transnational Dispute Management, Vol 2:5,
• El Derecho Internacional de
Inversiones Extranjeras en Venezuela: los acuerdos, la ley y la jurisprudencia.
• El desconocimiento de la personalidad jurídica del inversionista corporativa
en la jurisprudencia del Derecho Internacional de Inversiones Extranjeras. Revista Internacional de
Arbitraje, # 6, 2006.
• Enforcement of contract in Central America:
Is arbitration a viable alternative to solve disputes? Southwestern Journal of
Law and Trade in the Americas.
Vol XII, N 2, 2006.
• Co-Author Formalization, legal reform, and empowerment of the poor: overview
and issues paper, USAID, 2006.
• Informal economy: is it a problem, a solution or both? The perspective of the
informal business, Northwestern University School of Law, Law and Economics
papers, 2006 and Expresso Preprint Series, paper 1065, 2006.
• Investor-State disputes in Latin America: a judgment on the interaction
between arbitration, property rights protection and economic development, Law
and Business Review of the Americas,
Volume 13, Number 1, Page 67, 2006.
• International Legal Protections for Property Rights in Latin America, Volume
14, Number 05, Latin America Law and Business Report, May 31 2006.
• Co-author. Legal Empowerment of the poor: from concepts to measurement,
• A broader definition of legal empowerment of the poor,
• Is the International Law of Foreign Investment in need of reform?, Edinburgh, United
Kingdom, 2007, forthcoming.
• El arbitraje en el marco de la Ley
de Promoción y Protección de Inversiones: las posibles interpretaciones,
Caracas, Venezuela, 2007.
· The law as
a poverty fighting instrument: reflections on law, development and empowerment
of the poor, ExpressO (2008).
Law of Foreign Investment at a crossroads: the need to reform, ExpressO (2008).
Reprinted by the ICFAI (Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India)
· The surge of investment disputes:
Latin America testing the international law of foreign investments, Asian
Society of International Law, Tokyo,
· The Latin American struggle with the
international law of foreign investment: is it a demand for a more balanced
system?, Transnational Dispute Management, 2009.
Nociones básicas del Derecho
Internacional de Inversiones Extranjeras, 2009.
Una aproximación crítica al
Derecho Internacional de Inversiones, 2009.
· Simplification of administrative
procedures and secured transaction laws as tools to empower informal
businesses, Academic Network for Legal Empowerment of the Poor Workshop, Uganda,
· Economic development at the core of
the international investment law regime, University of Sydney Law School,
v. Investment protection: back to Calvo? In 50 years of BITs book. ICSID. 2010.
· Protected Investment And Protected Investors:
The Outer Limits of ICSID’s Reach, Trade Law and Development Journal, India, 2010.
· Ethics in International Arbitration:
Standards of Conduct in International Commercial, Trade and Investment
Disputes, in AAA handbook on International Arbitration Practice, 2010.
· Talking points: dispute resolution
in Latin America, Financier Worldwide, Oct.
Some publications are
He was weekly
contributor to daily Venezuelan newspaper Economía Hoy since August 1997 until
March 2000 and occasionally for Venezuelan El Universal. He has been
interviewed many times by CNN, ABC and Newsweek.
He has command of
Spanish, English, French and Portuguese.
He was born in June 17,
1965 and is married and father of two children. Omar is also an avid marathon
runner and contributes in many children charities.
Back to top